Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Canning Trip Number Two

         So, the second canning weekend has come and gone. With the first one already under our belts, we definitely felt more confident going out for the second. Saturday morning meant up and early to take advantage of every car that drove through our intersection. Waking up early is always tough, but the prospect of increasing our chances to dance at THON and taking a step toward finding a cure to this frightening disease makes it a hell of a lot easier.

          For me, the best part of canning, besides raising the money, is meeting the people that donate. I love when there is traffic and we have time to actually talk to the people in their cars. This trip was no exception. While we were on Springfield Road an elderly couple walked towards us in the direction of the gas station we were standing near. When the time came around to pass us, we said hello and he quickly responded,
          “I am a 1952 grad from Penn State, I think that was a little before your time!” He graciously made a donation, and we proceeded to talk about the Michigan game. I asked if he had watched and he replied, “Of course, wasn’t it great the way we took out those Michiganers?…I’m from Ohio so I have a certain animosity towards that team.” It’s amazing to me that of all people who walked by that day, pretty much the only one to walk by, he was a Penn State grad.

          Another person I got to talk to while he waited in traffic was a young guy who asked me if I was dancing in THON this year. I explained that I was trying to dance independently, so I was going to have to wait to find out a definite answer to his question, but he told me that he danced in THON in 2001. Naturally, I asked for advice, 
          “Just make sure to keep your eyes open.” Sure, a little obvious, but the light had turned green and that was the best I could get! 

          One woman this past canning weekend drove by and offered really significant words of encouragement,
          “I know how hard you kids work all year doing this, so keep up the great work”. While I really wish that everyone understood THON and the sheer magnitude of it, the reality is that they don’t. That is what makes these situations that much more appreciated. When we get donations from quick passerby, it’s difficult to express to them how much their donation actually means. It might only be a dollar or a handful of change from the cup holder in their car, but as canners we are genuinely thankful for any sort of donation; big or small. The “Thank you – You’re welcome” exchange happens so often that day, sometimes I worry that I am beginning to sound like a broken record. What truly surprises me, though, is when I hear it back. I don’t hear “You’re welcome” but “No, thank you.”



PS. Thank to our wonderful and energetic friend, Chelsea McCalla (pictured on the left) who came canning with us last weekend and helped us beat our total from the first canning weekend and add to our growing total. 

As always, thanks for reading,

Chelsea  

No comments:

Post a Comment