Thursday, September 26, 2013

Why Chelsea THONs


Before I even got to Penn State, I remember the students standing on the medians in the middle of busy streets or on the corners of shopping centers. I knew they were raising money for pediatric cancer. What a great cause, I thought. Turns out I didn’t have a clue how much of an impact those students waving their pompoms really had on pediatric cancer. When I arrived on campus freshman year, we sat through countless orientations. Countless times I heard the reminder "get involved with THON,"and, come October, that’s exactly what I did. 

Freshman year I was a member of the Rules & Regulations committee. I was just happy to meet so many people who shared one common bond--their passion for THON.  Sophomore year I was also a member of R&R, and the second time I knew what to expect and took full advantage of the opportunity that was given to me. 

Experiencing these two THON weekends is a major reason of why I continue to THON. If you talk to any student volunteer, I think they will say the same thing--its indescribable. Seeing your year long efforts culminate into one weekend is an amazing feeling. On top of that, the last four hours of THON are in itself, a huge motivation to stay involved. Seeing the Bryce Jordan Center floor during those last four hours reassures you of why you work so hard for this amazing cause. THON 2013 Final Line Dance
I also want to reflect on part of the reason I am so inspired by this cause. In 2004, when I was in 6th grade, one of my closest friends, Danielle, worked hard to raise money for the Leuikemia/Lymphoma Society. Her younger brother was diagnosed with Leukemia at a very young age, and she took it upon herself to try and make a difference and save other children like her brother who were battling for their lives. We were 12 years old when she started to fundraise. I saw first hand what pediatric cancer does to a family. No one deserves to go through those challenges. That same year, I attended a reception where Danielle went on to win Woman of the Year for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society because of her fundraising efforts. At 12 years old, she was the youngest recipient of this award. Her passion for a cause so close to her heart and success at such a young age inspires me to take on this challenge. Her brother is now healthy and has won his battle, but there are many that don’t have his luck. This is why I THON.
Diamonds up!

No comments:

Post a Comment